1. The Aurora Games this week invited some renowned current and former female NCAA stars and international gymnasts to celebrate their accomplishments and their vision of the future. Here are the gorgeous routines performed there: UCLA alumna Danusia Francis on beam and floor; Boise State senior Courtney McGregor on beam and floor; UCLA alumna Katelyn Ohashi on beam and floor (perfect 10.0 again!); Florida alumna Alicia Boren on beam and floor; LSU alumna McKenna Kelley on beam and floor; and Russia’s legend Tatiana Nabieva on beam and floor, where she scored a perfect 10.0.
2. Oregon State signee Jade Carey posted a video training a triple double on floor!!! There is a serious chance the U.S. will go to Worlds with two triple doubles! Jade also has some interesting upgrades on beam.
3. Georgia senior Sabrina Vega was seen training a Gienger on bars. It would be awesome to see her competing in the all around in her final season in Athens.
4. UCLA senior Kyla Ross is training a Bhardwaj on bars. Could this be the year when her bars routine will be: Maloney to Bhardwaj and Maloney half?! UCLA junior Nia Dennis is serious about some crazy tumbling on floor.
5. Oklahoma senior Maggie Nichols announced that after this upcoming year, she will be taking a fifth year to pursue her masters or start grad school and be the student coach for OU.
6. Georgia sophomore Sami Davis has medically retired from gymnastics after battling serious back injuries. I am sad, she had so much potential.
8. Cal commit Gabby Perea is training a Nabieva on bars.
9. Uncommitted gymnasts’ upgrades. Leanne Wong is training a stalder full on bars. Joscelyn Roberson is working on a double layout on floor and on some upgrades on bars. Mya Witte is training a very difficult beam combination (though still on floor). Kailin Chio is working on a DTY on vault. Whitney Bjerken has a new floor choreography. Konnor McClain is training a BHSO + BH + the best ever layout full. Kylie Coen is also working on a Nabieva on bars.
10. Meet the freshmen. Watch small interviews with Arizona freshmen Mackenzie Barile and Zaza Brovedani. Also, listen to Kent State freshman Rachel DeCavitch as she explains how she came up with her unique beam mount.
A thing of beauty:
‘Maggie Haney, coach on Olympic and world champion gymnasts, under investigation’, Orange County Register – link
UCLA Gym Source’s interview with UCLA alumna Sonya Meraz – link
Inside Gymnastics Magazine‘s interview with MyKayla Skinner – link
Simone Biles’ interview on the Today Show – link
Routine of the week
Danusia Francis’ floor routine at the Aurora Games was a work of art.