1. Former U.S. national team member Alyona Shchennikova has officially signed with LSU and will join the team for this upcoming 2019-20 season. Alyona, a former Michigan commit, is recovering from an Achilles tear. According to LSU co-head coach Jay Clark, at Baton Rouge they can help her recover more quickly and Alyona is expected to make the lineup on bars and beam in 2020.
2. UCLA junior Nia Dennis is training a high and straight double layout on floor.
3. UCLA commit Laney Madsen showed off a fantastic beam routine in training, which includes a Barani and some beautiful leaps.
4. Florida commit and U.S. junior all around champion Kayla DiCello is training a double double off bars!
5. Another Florida commit, Sophia Butler, is training a new Downie release move on bars.
6. UCLA alumna Hallie Mossett appeared as a stunt double in Normani’s Motivation music video.
7. Hopes Championships silver medallist Lily Pedersen has a new delightful floor choreography. According to her mother, Lily’s goal for next year is to make the U.S. junior national team. Good luck to her!
8. Coaching news. Oklahoma has promoted Lou Ball and Tom Haley to associate head-coaches. Kentucky alumna Marissa Beucler has been named volunteer assistant coach at Pitt after three seasons at BGSU as assistant coach. Hannah Hitchcock, a former gymnast at Minnesota, has been named volunteer assistant coach for the Gophers. Central Michigan has named Don Houlton and Katy Clements has assistant coaches. Ms Clements was a former CMU gymnast. Stanford alumna Alexandra Pintchouk is back at the Farm as assistant coach.
9. Oregon State gymnasts spent their Saturday fishing with children from the Oregon Candelighters for Children with Cancer organisation.
‘Simone Biles is redefining brilliance in a sport that shamefully failed her’, Guardian – link
‘How wonderful to watch Simone Biles’ defiant joy in our dark times’, Guardian – link
‘The unlimited greatness of Simone Biles’, New Yorker – link
College Gym News’ interview with CMU incoming freshman Hannah DeMers – link
Inside Gymnastics‘ interview with Leanne Wong – link
Inside Gymnastics‘ interview with Utah commit Kara Eaker – link
Routine of the week
Alyona Shchennikova’s last elite bars routine was also one of her best – at Gymnix last March.