I am still furious at this weekend’s scores, but also really emotional about Senior Nights. They always come too early…
1. During LSU’s Senior Night, the last three gymnasts on floor got respectively a perfect 10.0 (Kennedi Edney), a 9.950 (Sarah Finnegan) and another perfect 10.0 (McKenna Kelley). I was thrilled for both Kennedi and McKenna, but I felt that for technique and precision, Sarah’s routine was the superior one…
2. During Florida’s Senior Night, senior Alicia Boren anchored the floor lineup with a performance that the whole gym world believed was worthy of a 10.0… Everyone, except for one judge, who gave her a 9.950. She ended up with a 9.975, a bittersweet finale. Sophomore Megan Skaggs, on the other hand, debuted on floor and performed a beautiful routine (9.900). I hope she will get the chance to compete on floor again.
3. Illinois senior Mary Jane Otto crushed her beam routine on Senior Night for a 9.925. She will be missed!
4. Washington senior Kristyn Hoffa nailed her basketball-themed floor routine (9.925). It is so much fun!
5. Boise State senior Shani Remme‘s final beam routine was one for the ages (9.925). So beautiful, she will be missed!
6. California sophomore Emi Watterson hit a gorgeous bars set for a 9.925.
7. Denver senior Grace Broadhurst, after battling several injuries for years, made the lineup on bars in her very last meet in front of her home crowd. So proud!
8. Towson freshman Emerson Hurst impressed everyone by casually performing one of her best ever beam routines for a 9.925.
9. UCLA junior Kyla Ross continued her perfect-10.0 streak, scoring one on beam for the sixth week in a row. Do I need to add anything more?
9a. Stanford sophomore Rachel Flam has the best double Arabian on floor in the NCAA (9.900). We need more videos from the Cardinals!
10. Bridgeport sophomore Gabrielle Kistner stuck her Yurchenko half on vault for a well-deserved 9.900.
Bonus. Congratulations to the FIVE teams who achieved programme-high scores this past weekend: Kentucky (197.525), Penn (195.075), Brockport State (193.700), UW-Stout (190.225), Southern Connecticut (192.700); Ithaca College (191.650) and Rhode Island College (185.525).
Highest scores of the week
Team: UCLA – 198.325
All around: Sarah Finnegan (LSU) – 39.800
Vault: Maddie Karr (Denver) – 9.975
Bars: Sarah Finnegan (LSU) – 9.975
Beam: Kyla Ross (UCLA) – Perfect 10.0
Floor: Kennedi Edney (LSU) and McKenna Kelley (LSU) – Perfect 10.0
Kyla Ross (UCLA) – Beam
Kennedi Edney (LSU) – Floor
McKenna Kelley (LSU) – Floor
Routine of the week
Denver’s Maddie Karr stuck cold her Yurchenko 1.5. How was this not a perfect 10.0?