We are heading towards mid-season and we are seeing an increasing number of teams perform beautiful sets. Here are some more feelings from Week 6!
1. Sunday night was the new Friday night for gymnastics heights this week: three perfect 10.0s were scored on the very last day of competition of week 6. At home against Oklahoma, Denver sophomore Lynnzee Brown scored the first perfect 10.0 of her career for a gorgeous floor routine. Her double layout challenges even the ones we are used to seeing at Florida. UCLA, on the road against Washington, scored not one but two perfect 10.0s. Junior Kyla Ross stuck a beautiful Yurchenko 1.5 for a perfect score (is a gym slam in the air?), while senior Katelyn Ohashi scored yet another perfect 10.0 on floor for a routine that included her unique split-leg double layout.
2. LSU senior Sarah Finnegan should have scored a perfect 10.0 for this gorgeous floor routine (9.925). Amen.
2a. Kentucky junior Hailey Poland should get a 10.0 only for rocking the lipstick competition…
3. Georgia junior Rachel Dickson stuck cold her very difficult Omelianchik vault (9.975). Courtney Kupets-Carter must be proud!
3a. Missouri senior Madeleine Huber looked stunning on bars (9.900). Gorgeous routine!
4a. And we need to talk about Auburn junior Gracie Day‘s floor routine (9.925). Horror has never looked so appealing!
5. Give Minnesota sophomore Lexy Ramler a 10.0 on beam please, this is getting ridiculous (9.900 this week).
6. Rutgers sophomore Belle Huang scored a 9.925 on beam for this gorgeous routine. Rutgers had a stellar meet, scoring over 196 and beating Penn State for the first time in programme history.
7. Ohio State freshman Claire Gagliardi competed an Ezhova on bars, you guys (9.775)!!!
7a. Maryland sophomore Collea Burgess looked awesome on floor (9.875). That stuck 2.5 twist was impressive and her sassy choreography reminds me so much of Alabama alumna Aja Sims.
8. Linderwood sophomore Courtney Mitchell performed a gorgeous routine on beam for a career-high 9.900.
9. Temple senior India Anderson danced the hell out of her floor routine (9.850). Wanna join the party?
10. It was a beautiful and underscored routine for Sac State freshman Shaye Mathias, who was fantastic on floor (9.625).
Highest scores of the week
Team: Florida – 197.850
All around: Kyla Ross (UCLA) – 39.775
Vault: Kyla Ross (UCLA) – Perfect 10.0
Bars: Maggie Nichols (Oklahoma) – 9.975
Kyla Ross (UCLA) – Vault
Lynnzee Brown (Denver) – Floor
Katelyn Ohashi (UCLA) – Floor
Routine of the week
It was a perfect 10.0 on floor exercise for Denver’s Lynnzee Brown. So well-deserved!