It was a tough choice, but here are my 10 favourite bars routine of 2018:
10. Monica Riley (Washington) – Washington @ Utah
Monica worked very hard during the off-season and entered her junior year by becoming a strong and consistent bars worker – her routine is hard, exciting and beautifully performed.
9. Ivy Lu (Minnesota) – Illinois @ Minnesota
Ivy was a revelation this year – her routine is incredibly consistent and well-performed, and look at that Pak salto!
8. Kyla Ross (UCLA) – Super Six Finals
It may not be the most difficult routine in collegiate gymnastics, but Kyla’s lines are perfect, even when the judges somehow don’t agree!
7. Marissa Oakley (Georgia) – Missouri @ Georgia
Marissa’s lines and confidence on bars are fantastic – a breath of fresh air for the Gymdogs!
6. Taylor Houchin (Nebraska) – Big Ten Championships
Those full pirouettes go without saying, this routine from Taylor is gorgeous.
5. Alex McMurtry (Florida) – Nationals Semifinals
This routine has become a classic, here it is at its best.
4. Maggie Nichols (Oklahoma) – Nationals Semifinals
Maggie completed her second gym slam and won her second national bars title by scoring a perfect 10.0 with this routine during the semifinals round at Nationals.
3. Sarah Finnegan (LSU) – Arizona @ LSU
This incredible routine won Sarah a perfect 10.0 – how could it be otherwise?
2. Christine Peng-Peng Lee (UCLA) – Super Six Finals
Difficult, precise and worthy of a national title. Bless Peng’s eternal NCAA career!
1. Elizabeth Price (Stanford) – Nationals Semifinals
Difficult, flawless, perfect – a well-deserved uneven bars national co-champion!